I've been piecing together a quilt out of fabric scraps that I've had in my stash. I haven't followed a pattern. I just grabbed a few pieces of fabric and started sewing. I pieced together fabrics till I had panels about 2ftx1ft and then cut them into 7x7 blocks with my rotary cutter. I framed all of the blocks with a piece of flowered print fabric I had picked up in a yard sale a couple of years ago... I wasn't really even concerned with matching. I just wanted to make an old fashioned - put it together cause that's what you've got in the house kind of quilt. No fuss- no fabric buying, no color coordinating, just put it together. I've been reminiscing about the old school quilts that we had when I was a kid. Lots of colors, lots of different fabrics, held together with yarn knots that I would play with. I used to try to guess what the different fabrics came from. That's the kind of quilt I wanted to make - except that all of the fabrics I used are cotton... that's what I had! I've still got to do a wide border around the whole thing - not sure what I'm going to use for that - but I'm sure I've got something in the sewing room that's big enough to frame the whole thing... Then I've got to cave and spend some money on the batting... none of that in my sewing room, and something for a backing. I don't usually buy large pieces of cotton. If I do buy more than a couple of meters of something it's definitely a garment fabric... so we'll figure it out. I've been toying with the idea of using a silk charmeuse type fabric for the backing, but I'm not sure I want to use of the stuff I've got for the back of a quilt, it has to be durable. What do you think? I'll post pics of the top when I've got it framed.
Simone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
that sounds like my kinda quilt. no fuss no muss. no overthinking. sounds great, Simone!
Post a Comment